ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL is an epic adventure of hope and empowerment from the visionary filmmakers, James Cameron (AVATAR) and Robert Rodriguez (SIN CITY). Alita is a creation from an age of despair. ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL is an action-packed story of one young woman’s journey to discover the truth of who she is and her fight to change the world.
In the movie when Alita awakens with no memory of who she is in a future world she does not recognize, she is taken in by Ido, a compassionate doctor who realizes that somewhere in this abandoned cyborg shell is the heart and soul of a young woman with an extraordinary past. As Alita learns to navigate her new life and the treacherous streets of Iron City, Ido tries to shield her from her mysterious history while her street-smart new friend Hugo offers instead to help trigger her memories. But it is only when the deadly and corrupt forces that run the city come after Alita that she discovers a clue to her past. Alita: Battle Angel has unique fighting abilities that those in power will stop at nothing to control. If she can stay out of their grasp, she could be the key to saving her friends, her family and the world she’s grown to love.
Cast: Alita: Battle Angel
- Rosa Salazar as Alita, the titular cyborg heroine. Salazar portrays the role by way of motion capture.
- Christoph Waltz as Dr. Dyson Ido, a scientist who is Alita’s caretaker.
- Jennifer Connelly as Dr. Chiren, ex-girlfriend of Ido, who escaped with him from the false utopia of Zalem/Tiphares, but became disenchanted with real freedom.
- Mahershala Ali as Vector, a man who rigs Motorball combat matches.
- Ed Skrein as Zapan, a cyborg tasked with tracking down and killing Alita.
- Jackie Earle Haley as Grewishka, a huge cyborg based on Grewcica from the Battle Angel OVA.
- Keean Johnson as Hugo, Alita’s love interest who also teaches her to play a gladiator-style game called Motorball.
- Michelle Rodriguez as Gelda, a cyborg warrior from Mars who trained Alita.
- Eiza González as Nyssiana, a cyborg tasked with tracking down and killing Alita.
- Lana Condor as Koyomi, an orphaned teen and freelance photographer.
- Jorge Lendeborg Jr. as Hugo’s friend.
- Idara Victor as Nurse Gerhad, Ido’s aide.
- Leonard Wu as Kinuba.
- Marko Zaror as Ajakutty, a Motorball player.
- Casper Van Dien as Amok
Alita: Battle Angel is set several centuries in the future as Alita sets out on a journey that will lead her to take on the injustices of this dark, corrupt world, and discover that one young woman can change the world in which she lives. James Cameron has stated that he intends to adapt “the spine story” of Yukito Kishiro’s original manga, with a specific focus on the first four books. He especially wants to include the fictional sport “Motorball” from the third and fourth volume. In the narrative, the sport played an important role in the Alita story arc because it was part of her development as a character. Alita: Battle Angel is all set to get released on 14th February 2019.